Table of Contents
If you are a sucker for problems and toils, like i am, you will love this sims 4 off-the-grid living option in your Sims 4 game. Ideally speaking, this option was of absolute disinterest to me in the beginning, as who would want to live in such harsh conditions when you can have all luxuries of the world, with the use of unique Sims 4 cheats and Mods.
But hey it isn’t all that bad as living off-the-grid in Sims 4 eventually ended up adding to my conscious pleasures of playing this game, As they say, the hustle is the best motivation of all.
Off Grid Lot Trait
How To Turn Off The Grid Sims 4 – 2022
- To make your Sims’ house officially off-the-grid, you need to add the sims 4 off-the-grid lot trait.
- The above could be accomplished by going to the build mode and navigating your way to the houses icon in the top left corner of the screen. Doing this will present you with all the lot traits in alphabetical order to choose from.
- The off-the-grid lot trait reads some information, speaking about itself, talking about the unexpected water and electricity cuts that will happen if you select this trait. And the advantages of the same like no utility bill.
- Once this feature is activated, you are on your own to survive, without any water or power in your home sweet home.
If you are in a mood of some real challenge, we have something prepared for you. From now onwards, consider your landscape as a tribal place for your nomadic adventurer Sims.
They are here to live without the use of any seeming life hiking ways like using technology or power supply and will try to grow and prosper together. (this could be a lot of fun if you follow the rules; you can be more strict with your rule book and constitution for running your Sims land)
Working Items in Sims 4 Lot trait
Showers and Bathtubs
- Under the Sea Clawfoot Tub with Shower
- Postmodern shower
- Sheer Will Clawfoot Tub
- It’s a Shower Tarp
- Waterfall Shower
- Epic DIY Shower
- The Patrician
- The Crew Cabinet
- The Clean Machine
- Bai l’Est Galvanized Sink
- All-purpose Pebbled Sink
- The Ambassador
- Old Time Antique Toilet
- In-house Out-house
- Old-fashioned Toilet
- Odd Crow Woodburning Stove
- Yum Cooker
- Lights with candles work while others don’t.
- Light options on most items are disabled.
- All Fireplaces
- Auto feeders for Pet
Objectives(if you are up for tribal living)
- Build a town for a tribe of Sims that live entirely off the land.
- No use of technology, no plumbing services and no choosing of any sub-objectives that leads to using of these luxuries.
- The sims have to depend entirely on their hard work and survival skills, trying to avoid any sort of blood bath and violence among the citizens if possible.
- Hunger: Any meals that are quick, or requires no ingredients to cook must not be eaten by your Sims. Your sims cannot consume any processed food like animal crackers or cereal. Only edible fruits, herbs and veggies must be assimilated by your Sims. Your Sims may also cook meals using Carbonette Charcoal Grill (BG), the BBQ Drum (JA), the Auld Crow Wood-Burning Cookstove (BG), or a campfire (OR).
- Energy: Saving and regeneration of energy are required for all. Sims may sleep in any bed as they please for that purpose.
- Bladder: Toilets and showers in Sims land but with limited water usage, or your sims can build a toilet on the workbench which will improve their handiness skills.
- Hygiene: Same with the hygiene, your sims have to satisfy all your shower, tub or sinks needs in the bathtub facility built by them on the workbench.
- Fun: Sims can entertain themselves in various ways that do not require any usage of electricity like playing some instruments like guitar, violin etc., playing a board game, or playing with some crazy toys or merely reading a book, There are several ways for your sims to escape boredom.
- Social: Be a good sport and follow the tribal world rules and make your Sims talk or communicate with each other only through their mouthpiece, not through any cellphone or mail or fax.
Also, after nailing this tribal sims life challenge, an adventurer sim like you might want to have more fun, for which we have got you covered
Bills Information and Tax Breaks
As you begin to live off the grid, you might make this assumption that you won’t receive any power bills, as you are no longer autonomously using the energy-consuming products, like a stove, fridge, etc.
Which is not the case in the game, you still will get some bill, which you are supposed to pay, to keep your rudimentary facilities going on at full power.
Although it’s not going to be all that bad, as you are not just going to save money on your bills but will also get money back in the form of Tax Breaks.
In case you are doing living off the grid challenge without any other tax breaks, you will get 75 simoleons off from your monthly bills, making it easier to pay your taxes each week.
The 75 simoleons depend on three negatives(no use of things), power usage while off the grid, water usage while off grid and property tax discount for living off-the-grid.
Important points to note:
- There’s no “Functional off the grid” added to the lamps at work.
- All of the radios are disabled without any message.
- The functional stove (The YumCooker & Auld Crow Wood-Burning Cookstove) when selecting the option to cook will say cooking with gas, which is weird i guess EA is working on it.
This lot trait gives you the option to choose from a limited list of items for challenging the survival skills of your sims; this could particularly have a lasting effect on the functionality of your sims, the main two places that off the grid effects is your bathroom or kitchen.
The sims 4 off the grid lot trait lets you have minimum facilities in almost all the areas. In the bathroom case, the sims need three things, a sink, a toilet, and a shower/bath.
You need to choose items in your cart that save water, and these items will function a little differently from your regular bathing set.
You can control the toddler and have them take a bath. You can’t clean the off-the-grid sims 4 sinks, shower, or toilet.
The solution to this is that you need to get to Handiness level 4 and upgrade them to self-cleaning, which you can quickly get for yourself by using the Sims 4 handiness skill cheat.
The bathroom accessories must have the following requirements fulfilled.
- The toilet must have a water-saving flush.
- A sink must let you quickly wash your hands and brush your teeth.
- A bath or shower must let you have a quick and tepid bath/shower. (will sacrifice the hygiene needs of your sims.)
- Pool bath does increase hygiene (install one for your sims).
List of things you can try out for hygiene:
- Ocean (IL)
- Pool (BG)
- Shower in a waterfall (IL)
- Shower in the rain (SNS)
- Waterfall in a bottle (JA)
- Cleansing cream (OR)
- Portable shower (OR)
- OTG Baths (Various?)
- OTG Showers (Various?)
- OTG Sinks (Various?)
- Laundry tub (LD)
- Washing line (LD)
- Brushing pets clean (mod)
You have stove and fridge facilities available, for as long as you choose one from off the grid.
Most of the refrigerators might not function off-the-grid, but I think the vintage one will do as it is placed in the shipwrecked pilot off the grid.
You can add ice to the refrigerator, which will allow your off the grid fridge to stay cold for 24 hours, isn’t that amazing. Also, your meal options are going to be limited. The cooking off grid option that appears on clicking on the stove will offer you five options:
- Grilled Cheese
- Eggs and Toast
- Tomato Soup
- Popcorn Crickets
- Fish on a Stick
You can also make any salad, or fruit salad since these don’t need any power to bake.
Grills that you probably have outside your home can function as normal as they run not on electricity or gas but coal or propane.
We have prepared a list of several foods and drink off the grid items that you can treat yourself within this adventure of yours:
- Raw produce
- Pit BBQ
- Campfire food
- Portable bars
- Lux drinks tray
- Backyard drinks tray
- Kava bowl
- Punch fountain
- Buffet table (LP)
- Market stalls(eat food from them, not the stalls themselves)
- Dried grilled cheese
- You can have gourmet fruitcake, which is cooked else, whereas it never gets spoiled.
- As mentioned earlier, you can always make salads and nigiri from raw things.
- Wood burning stoves (if they update to work off-grid)
- Fireplaces (if they update to allow roasting items on them)
Off The Grid Category Update
A new sims 4 off-the-grid category has been added in the latest version of sims 4(2022 update).
Anything in this category will work off-grid when one doesn’t have access to power or water. It includes stoves and fridges and other several items that require no water or power.
You can choose to gather water if you go to any swimming spot, for having some water extra for the later use of your sims, living off the grid.
In The Sims 4 Eco lifestyle expansion pack, you are going to have a lot more options for getting water for your sims.
- Dew collector- helps you collect water each morning, won’t amount to a lot, but you can have an ordinary bath.
- Water generator- less desirable as it has industrial eco footprints and requires fuel to work.
Ways to Get Power
If you have the sims 4 eco-lifestyle installed then you have quite some options for your base game for fulfilling your power needs in your sims house including solar panels :
- Solar panels
- Wind turbines
- upgrade treadmill to generate power (option available on level 5 eco lifestyle)
- power generator (has industrial foot prints so might not be best suited for the most audience)
Note: Don’t click the danger button! It can shock your sim, causing her/him to become dazed and start a fire.
- The lot trait name is the original theme of The Sims 4 laundry day stuff pack in the base game.
- As players pick their choices, the pack focus more on Laundry items.
This living off the grid is an excellent option for sims who happen to have very little money and are trying to work their way to the top and indeed for those who are bored with living in normal conditions and are in serious search of an adventure. In short Sims 4 off the grid is a must try out for all.
In short, Sims 4 is a must try out for all. For more such adventures, read the list of sims 4 challenges for your base game.